« DIY » doesn’t rhyme with « good neighbourliness » as soon as devices’ noise or activities themselves, disturb the neighbour’s quietness. During the day, the noise can be the cause of an abnormal neighbourhood disturbance when it is repetitive, intensive, or when it lasts over time.
There are stricts rules to respect regarding potential noise pollution from the work of private individual. The rules was enacted by the prefectural decree of September 20th 2022.
Specific moments to do home improvements
The temporary DIY or gardening work made with tools or appliances likely to cause discomfort for the neighbourhood such as lawnmowers with combustion engine, chainsaws, drills, planers or handsaws can be only done :
- Working days from 8.30 am to 12 pm and from 2.30 pm to 7.30 pm ;
- Saturdays from 9 am to 12 pm and from 3 pm to 7 pm ;
- Sundays and public holidays from 10 am to 12 pm.
Behaviour noises are forbidden day and night, whether :
- A person, tenant or home owner, (shout, heels, singing, family celebration, screaming near a swimming pool, etc.),
- A thing or an object (music instrument, Hi-fi system, television, DIY tools, firecrakers or fireworks, air conditioning, heat pump, electrical applainces, etc.),
- Or a animal (example : barking).
A flat-flee fine may be imposed on him up to 68€ within 45 days of the statement of offense (or sending the infringement notice if applicable).
What to do in case of nuisance
If you are confronted by intense nuisance, repetitive or long, you can call in the police (Gendarmerie or Police Municipale) to notice the trouble, day and night, in order to end the trouble.